Sunday, March 17, 2019

Winter Is Coming: Part 4--Where For Art Thou Nerd?

Picking this bracket was getting frustrating.  What am I saying?  It is never NOT frustrating.

Meanwhile, something was amiss.  The nerd dog had not really moved in 48 hours.  Save for a couple "turn around three times and lay down" routines, he was not much movement.

Did I offend him?  I know I was pretty rough on him in our last (first) conversation.  It hasn't been easy since Chewy left--couple that with this damn pool and I'm no mood for chit chat.

I at least thought he would try again.  Nerds never know when to quit.

And yet, still he lays quietly in the corner.

"Snownerd, wake up"

Nothing.



"Snownerd, do you want a treat?"

Still nothing.  Maybe I am using the wrong name?  For the life of me, I can't remember his name.

"Snowdrift, do you want a treat?"

Silence.  Usually, the treat will work.  It could still be the name.  Maybe he thinks I'm bluffing.  I grabbed a Milkbone from the treat jar.

"Snowdrift.  Treat?

At that point, he lifted his head, sniffed the air, and rose to his feet.  Somewhat begrudgingly (as begrudgingly as a little white dog can), he came over, grabbed the treat, and shuffled back to his landing spot.  Curled up, he began gnawing the Milkbone, all the while staring at me.  No horn-rimmed glasses.  No pocket protector.  No Clark Kent.

I started at my bracket.  For this endeavor, I needed Superman.  Or at least the (supposed) Super Nerd Dog.

Raap came in the room.

"Want to try again?  You know I hate that nickname"

Danielle came in the room.

"Why are you staring at the dog?  *Gesturing with air quotes* Did he talk again?"

"That's not funny--you know I'm not crazy"

"While I do doubt you this time, I suspect you're telling the truth given what happened with Chewy over the years.  But your obsession with Snowball is bordering the ridiculous.  Horn-rimmed glasses and a pocket protector?  Seriously?"

"His name's not Snowball"

"What?"

"I said, his name isn't Snowball.  It's Snowdrift"

With that she shook her head and walked away saying "Crazy doesn't do this justice"

"Well, if it's not Snowdrift, it's Snow-something, I know that at least"

Alone again, I looked over at the dog in time to hear a long sigh.  With that, he did the routine and fell asleep.

I do need help.  In more ways than one.

TO BE CONTINUED




No comments: