Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Twas the Night Before Madness

This blog brought to you by Jay Bilas. Jay Bilas, great for when you need an ill-informed blowhard ex-Dukie to back-up your overrated major against a more deserving mid-major using bad logic.

T'was the night before Madness
And all through the house
There was myriad snoring
The second head and the spouse

The television was on
The NIT playing loud
I was watching the Hoyas
Do the betting line proud

My brackets not done
Not sure what to do
I reach in the fridge
For another fresh brew

Back in control
Things coming in view
I just can't bet again
On the Zags and their Few

The Pac 10, the Big 10
I like them the least
Could it really end up the
Final Four's the Big East?

UConn might do it
And possibly Pitt
But a team like the Sooners
Is there a better fit?

I'm distracted by noise
from the HD I look south
and start wishing Jay Bilas
would just shut his mouth

Which reminds me of why
I want to gag and to puke
every time I consider
either Carolina or Duke

Too many upsets
I'm guessing too much
My wife, daughter and dog
I'm going to lose to the bunch

I'm starting to panic
I'm losing my psych
Is this really what
Turning 40 feels like

Deep breaths start to come
I'm starting to pull through it
With enough time to finish
Just before I get lit

The last lines are done
My national champ has been added
The games are tomorrow
My walls should be padded

To my knees I fall down
And invoking God's name
I pray like hell Northern Iowa
wins just one game

And "Yes" I exclaimed
Er I finished the beer
It just doesn't matter
There's always next year

Peace,
Reg

4 comments:

raidertripp said...

Very nice. I've heard writing poetry keeps the mind sharp at your age. Let me know how it works. I'm not far behind!

Go Panthers!
Tripp

Anonymous said...

At my (our) age I can't do too much poetry. Spending most of my time tipping Miller Lite's, and, of course, that doesn't promote poetry.

Purdue 20 UNI 8

Still early, UNI may still have a chance to get back within that 8.5 point spread. Go Purdue!!!

Reg said...

Ahhh, UNI covers the spread and puts a scare into Purdue

Anonymous said...

Your right Reg, sooooooooooo did the NCAA move them ahead to the next round? This pool is not Vegas, baby. You move on and get points when the teams win straight up AND the last I looked Purdue is in the Sweeeeeeeeeet Sixteen.